Keep On Keeping On...

10:05 PM

As some of you may know, I am an unemployed teacher. After being laid off from my teaching position in Custer, MT 3 1/2 years ago, I have been substitute teaching in Billings. And, putting it mildly, it hasn't been all fun and games.

There are so many things I miss about having my own classroom. I miss planning & conducting my own lessons. I miss being engrossed in my subject on a daily basis. I miss being in control of my career. But the thing I miss the most is having meaningful relationships with both students and colleagues.

People often ask me if I like subbing. I tell them flat out - no, I hate it! And its not for the reasons you might think. Sure, the discipline and lack of respect from the students can be stressful. The 6 AM phone calls aren't much fun either. But the worst part of subbing is something most people don't even realize - it's very lonely!

I am never in one school long enough to form relationships. I don't really "belong" anywhere. I don't have colleagues. This is the worst part of subbing.

Jobs teaching social studies are very difficult to come by in Montana. There are maybe 2-3 positions available each year, with 60+ teachers applying for each position. I've been fortunate to get interviews for almost all of the positions for which I've applied, but I haven't been hired. Last week, I interviewed for a temporary position (a maternity leave). I received my rejection e-mail today. We don't even get form letters anymore - it's all done electronically!

So, I keep on keeping on. And on. And on. And on......

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images